William Theodore (Ted) Alexander



Worked in Fixed Communications with Canadian Pacific Airlines. Spent some time in Norman Wells during the construction of the D.E.W. Line.

A travaillé dans le domaine des communications fixes avec Canadien Pacifique. Il a passé du temps à Norman Wells lors de la construction de la ligne D.E.W.







Obituary - Avis de décès

William Theodore (Ted) Alexander

1924 - 2016

Private, strong, independent and more than a little stubborn: these words aptly describe Ted's approach to life.

Ted was predeceased by his loving wife Eileen, parents Lyall and Mary Alexander and brother Art. He is survived by his son John (Lori) Argent, grandchildren Danny and Kristine, siblings Jack and Mary Lou and several nieces and nephews.

Ted's childhood years were spent in Ontario. At the age of 18 his plans to study electrical engineering were put on hold at the invitation of Prime Minister Mackenzie King. In 1942, he joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. After taking a one month arctic survival training course, he became a crew member on a Canso aircraft patrolling our West Coast on surveillance for submarines. During his two and a half years of service, he also spent time in the Arctic Circle, Ucluelet and assisted in building the Port Hardy runway.

In 1949, he began his career with Canadian Pacific Airlines in Vancouver, in their Fixed Communications Department, where he remained for over 20 years. While with the airlines, he spent time in Norman Wells, N.W.T. during construction of the D.E.W. Line. He also taught ham radio operations to paraplegics and quadriplegics at G.F. Strong Rehabilitation Centre, designed a portable iron lung for a wheelchair bound polio patient and with the help of a dentist, he wired a patient's mouth plate for Morse code.

He then met and married his life love, Eileen. Together with her son John, the family lived on West 49th in Vancouver for many years, during which time Ted embarked on the lengthy build of his 25' dream boat, which he named Eileeta. In 1952, Ted made his first trip to the Pender Harbour area over a very rough gravel road from Sechelt. How little did he know then that he was destined to return. In the summer of 1970 Ted, Eileen and "Eileeta" moved to Garden Bay where, for over 30 years, he owned and operated Harbour Electronics. He served on the Garden Bay Harbour Water Board and was an active member of the Lions Club. As a ham radio operator, he enjoyed keeping in touch with friends world wide.

Ted's family would like to thank his many good friends and neighbours who enriched Ted's life so much, particularly Teyjah, Joe and Harry.

If you so wish, donations in Ted's memory may be made to Sechelt Hospital Foundation, Sechelt. There will be no service, however a gathering of friends and family will be planned at a future date.


Source: InMemoriam.ca


Links   -   Liens